I have gotten so many questions on Instagram that I decided it would be a great idea to write a really informative post for anyone looking for information about Keratin Hair straightening and in particular where to get your Keratin Hair treatment done in Montreal! I have had this treatment done 4 times so far and it has completely changed my life. I hope this little guide can help you with any questions you may have about the treatment or the process. Keep reading for everything you need to know about Keratin Straightening in Montreal!
First, the basics!
- Keratin is a protein that naturally occurs in your hair. People with curly hair naturally have less Keratin in their hair than people with straight hair.
- The treatment works by sealing in the Keratin treatment in your hair with a flat iron.
- Depending on the formula, you may have to leave it in for 2 hours to 2-3 days.
- The effects last from 2-3 months depending on your hair (I usually try to push it to every 4 months to save money and because my hair is not overly curly and my regrowth does not cause me too much annoyance!)
Where to get Keratin Straightening in Montreal?
The first time ever that I got the Keratin Hair straightening was in Cairo, Egypt. It literally changed my life but as you can imagine it was just not possible to fly to Cairo every 4 months in order to refresh my tresses! I have a great salon in Montreal that does my cuts, called Pure Salon in the Cours Mont Royal, located in downtown Montreal. When I inquired about the price of the treatment at the salon, I was advised that it would be 500$+ for my length of hair and it would be a much better idea to look for an ethnic salon in Montreal that would do it for cheaper.
Luckily for me, I live in Saint Laurent and after researching a bit online I found a Salon across from Cote Vertu Metro called Salon Sossi that would do my hair for 100$ (similar price to what I paid in Cairo) I loved my experience there and I have kept using this salon for my subsequent Keratin treatments. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to straighten their hair in Montreal.
Here is the process I go through to get the Keratin treatment done:
- It takes around 2 hours to wash, blow dry the hair, apply the treatment, leave treatment on under hot blowdryer (1 hour), then blow dry the hair straight again WITH treatment in and flat iron it straight-sealing in the treatment.
- The first treatment I left on for 3 days, subsequent treatments she advised would only need 2 days.
- For the treatment period, you need to make sure to not get the hair wet or use any ties or clips that could crease the hair.
- If you get the hair wet you can dry it and re straighten it with a flat iron.
- After the waitng time is up, the salon will wash out the treatment with Keratin Shampoo and blow dry and flat iron it straight.
- At this point you are free to style your hair as you like!
- If you dye your hair (as I do) be aware that Keratin “opens” up the colour, so in the 2-3 days that you have the treatment in your hair, it will gradually lighten.
- Total cost will vary depending on your hair length and level of curlyness. For my length of hair I pay 100$ (plus 20$ tip) and another 20$ to get the treatment washed out of my hair 2 days later, blow dried and straightened.
- If you want to dye your hair again after the treatment make sure to wait a week first and use a dye that is ammonia free.
- After care-to make sure the Keratin treatment lasts as long as possible-be sure to use sulfate free shampoos, conditioners and styling products.
Styling my hair after Keratin has become incredibly easy. I just blow dry it straight with my fingers (I could never do the blow drying with a round brush so when I say my hair is straight by just blow drying it with my fingers, I really mean it!) Or else if I am going out and looking for a really polished look I will go over it with my straightening iron.
I highly recommend Salon Sossi in Saint Laurent and I definitely recommend trying the Keratin Straightening treatment if you don’t like your curls and frizz. I had been wearing my hair straight for years before discovering this treatment and it has saved me so much time and energy getting my hair done every morning! Completely worth the price in my opinion!